December 9, 2013

We work out!

Today starts a new chapter in my pregnancy! Yes, during my third trimester at 31 weeks and 4 days,today I turned a new leaf. Let me start where I actually shoulda started a new leaf..

So my exercise during my first trimester was keeping up with my volleyball girls and working a semi physical second job. My lunch break went from meal time to nap time, forming a baby is exhausting work! For the biggest part of my second trimester I was fairly active with the volleyball team, midway through I'd regained some of my energy that I hadn't had since before I was pregnant. Time to hit the gym,right? 

Yes, every mommy magazine and blogger talks about working out during your whole pregnancy. I got to the gym in my workout gear,started working out, and I couldn't do it. I was paralyzed by insecurity that my foreign body caused.  I don't mean to sound like a monster when I say "my foreign body" because my pregnancy is a blessing and Ms. Madeline is a gift that deep down I never felt I'd be given the privilege to carry.  That being said, at the time I wasn't big enough to look pregnant, but my clothes were obviously tight. Instead of feeling blessed for my bump,I was upset over being winded on the treadmill and felt like the loser three treadmill's down with a beer gut who was just at the gym to pick up girls. I felt like people were staring, some of that was in my imagination, but far too many people were actually staring at me.

I've never been one of those people to make fun of others at the gym (unless you are that guy who obviously skips leg day, but does the same arm workout for an hour. Yes, I mentally mock you) but if you are there to improve yourself, then good for you! I say shame on those gawkers, but shame on me. I should have never let my health be jeopardized by jerks at the gym.  I should've put my chin up and pushed on. That's not what happened, I let my competitive nature get the best of me and it was several weeks before I went back.

So I'm writing this down,so when I wake up tomorrow at 31 weeks and 5 days,I will push through my soreness and achy bones and waddle my pregnant self through these college kids and get my workout on. I won't even try to keep up with them or let their stares knock the wind out of my sails. Pregnant or not, today is your day to feel good about where you are right now, disregard those who judge, and push forward :)

No comments:

Post a Comment