November 1, 2011

Love me tender

Love can be scary. Scratch that..it tends to be flat out terrifying. 
It doesn't start off that way, initially its all fun and flirtsy. Getting to know each other(just like in the Sound of Music) and about their family, maybe(depending on how serious) a little about your past. Most relationships make it out of this phase, which barely passes as more than a platonic friendship.

Time goes on, we start investing more in each other, more of everything. More time, bigger presents with each holiday, more attention from other things directed toward the significant other. This is the stage where people begin to jump ship. They discover the other person is too clingy, too distant, loves cats or hates dogs. This is where the average high school or college relationship drops off, when you realize they really are just a pretty face.

If the relationship survived that stage, that's when the scary investment begins. I say scary, as a testament of not only personal failure, but I know many people who are terrified of investing a whole lot of anything in one person. Emotionally, you start feeling what the other person feels(yes, just like the movies, "when you hurt, I hurt", it's real). I feel the investment of self is what is scary, you can get over paying too much for their birthday present or the fact they still have your favorite sweater, but you can't get back that part of yourself.

Before I was delivered by Christ, I never took into consideration how years of giving and terrible relationships would leave me. I thought it would never catch up with me, but as expected and explained by many, it did, and it hurt. I made more mistakes because of the pain I was in, but most importantly I survived and currently prospering.

Without Christ's precious blood I would have never felt capable to forgive myself enough to let His love in. When God is in your relationship it isn't perfect, but it's not as scary. You aren't investing yourself in a person who plays by a different set of rules. 1 John 4:18 says that, "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." You aren't casting your precious pearls to the swine like Matthew 7:6 says, "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." YOU are more precious than pearls, and deserve someone who will treat you as you deserve with interest on your investment!

It just feels right. Like the perfect glove, light bulb moment, and winning catch all a the same time. But even the Bible has this to say about love: “There are three things that are too amazing for me,  four that I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a snake on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of a man with a young woman." Even then people were scratching their heads about the differences about men and women.

Love is a lot of things, but it shouldn't be scary. I wanna stop with another verse that everyone knows but sums it up:
If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.1 Corinthians 13



No comments:

Post a Comment