September 1, 2011

For the Love of the Game



Competitors experience highs and lows, adrenaline jolts, and moments of cadence with other people that only comes from practice and persistence. The pursuit for success, perfection, and improvement are driven by success and even more by failure. Athletes are a breed, they understand each other and what it takes to succeed, no questions asked.

Four years ago, that was me. My life, my diet, my time, my waking hours was dedicated to getting better. I miss competing. I miss the pursuit for perfection. I miss being TINY and fit. But when I catch myself being whiny, I remind myself of all the things my athletic career gave me.

I can say that I know what passion is, it's running till' you puke and playing in 32 degree weather and loving every minute.  I know what it's like to feel great mind, body, and soul in sync...it’s passing a goal and feeling like you can keep going. I know what it's like to mourn a loss, an injury, and even death as a team. I know the different types of tears, those for success, defeat, and sheer joy. Love is unconditional, no matter what the sport, occasion, or milestone. Love is giving it all you have, and making no exuses until it works.

With Love, they say if you really love it, then let it go. Being a competitor is at my core. Everything that competing taught me will never go away, everything I do will be done with passion and in pursuit of perfection. I miss volleyball and softball, it’s an achy dull pain that still swells tears to my eyes, but then the smile returns to my face.  Those sports were my teacher, classroom, and often my sanctuary. I'm forever grateful to God for giving me the ability to play and opportunities to play with some of the most influential players and coaches.

"Dont Cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
-Dr.Seuss


No comments:

Post a Comment