July 28, 2011

21 Lessons at 21...

It's hard to believe..but I'm almost 22. Beyond the perks that come with being 21:)...it has been a year of blessings, surprises, hard lessons and adventure. Looking forward to the big double-dos! Here are 21 lessons at 21:

1.       Relax, God is in control.
2.       No matter how much I plan, Gods way is better. He kinda see’s the big picture.
3.       Under no circumstances should I quit a job, before I have one lined up.
4.       When I have a gut feeling, a heart tugging, or just feel like I’m supposed to do something..I should probably do it.  Being blessed with a brain for thinking and knees for praying wasn’t a coincidence.
5.       If I think I’m the only one who can do it the way I want something done. Just do it. I won’t be happy until it’s done my way.
6.       Don’t take on the world. I will put too much on my back, wear myself out, and get sick. If this happens, ignore #5 and take a nap.
7.       Putting everything on the line has it consequences, but regret weighs heavier than remorse.
8.       Going off of #7…Forgive. Forgive myself. Forgive others. Just Forgive, things happen.
9.       Don’t go a day without telling a loved one that I love them.
10.   Family. They will drive me crazy but it's because we love each other like crazy. But they were assigned to me, and I assigned to them for a reason. God knew that I needed the kind of crazy love that comes from being in my amazing family. You are my world and I wouldn’t trade a single member, moment, or anything…with anyone.
11.   Acceptance. There are many things in life that just need to be accepted, and usually there is an overwhelming sense of accomplishment when I accept the inevitable. Ex: my hair is curly, let it do it's thing.
12.   Being kind to my future children is grand..but spoiling them is a totally different story. They grow up to be selfish, arrogant, and hated jerks. Don't give them that disadvantage from the start.
13.   Take chances. Although I love structure, being told my ideas are great, and the safety of making pro/con lists…my greatest friendships, adventures, and relationship started out of just by letting go..and taking a chance.
14.   Sometimes other people’s approval gives me confidence that I’m making the right decision, but it shouldn’t be the deciding factor.
15.   Hard work is never regretted.  Even if it goes unnoticed at the time, it will pay off in the future.
16.   Don’t settle for being “like everybody else”. As Steve Harpenau once said, “you are a Harpenau, not everyone else, you were born to work harder and be better.” Thanks dad!
17.   Let it go, let them go, let it be. Let go of yesterday, let go of the stupid fights, and let go of what might have been.
18.   Cherish today. This very day was God given, there has never been a day like this one, and never will be another one quite like it.
19.   Listen. God is in the little things. Sometimes if you listen you have a chance to help someone, be uplifted, or be used by God. (note to self: SHUT UP and LISTEN!)
20.   The ocean always reminds me that there is something bigger than myself, my problems, and my worries.
21.   Romans 8:28  “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

No comments:

Post a Comment